Sunday, February 13, 2011

The 30 Day Photo Challenge Day Nineteen

Yesterday (Saturday) my Valentine surprised me by treating me to a yummy Japanese dinner in Jonesborough before attending Romeo and Juliet by the Jonesborough Repertoir Theater.  This truly was a surprise!  The show was interesting with a lot of young, local talent.  Tomorrow for Valentine's Day I am making one of our favorite pasta dishes (creamy chicken, bacon, and tomato farfalle), but unfortunately, I have already bombed on the red velvet cake I was making from scratch.  First of all, it's not very red; I followed the directions but the cocoa powder over-powered the food coloring.  Also, my three non-stick 9-inch round cake pans seemed to just swallow the cake batter, so each layer looks puny.  Then, my made from scratch cream cheese icing is yellow and not white.  *sigh*  Maybe it'll still taste good?  Guess we'll find out...

The 30 Day Photo Challenge:  Day Nineteen

A picture and a letter.


Dear People of the World,

        I am sincerely tired of observing such blatant disregard for corrent grammar.  There is no excuse.  I KNOW you were taught the difference between "your" and "you're"...just like you were taught the difference in "there", "they're", and "their", and "too" and "to".  However, it's really the "yours" that get me.  Honors students do it; professionals do it; adults do it; parents do it; children who attend both county and city schools do it; will it ever end?  It is embarrassing to see a student's car in the parking lot with writing on the windshield proclaiming, "Happy Birthday!  Your finally legal!" And while I at least appreciate good manners, it is still shameful to see an exchange on facebook that looks like this:
*You did so good in the game last night!
*Thank you!
*Your welcome!

Putting the good vs. well conversation on hold, there are those four letters just glaring me in the face.  I, as an English teacher, have tried so desperately to change this atrocity...but my students will just straight up say, "who cares?"  And I have a hard time answering that question.  When others around them (adults, friends, professionals) make the same mistakes or don't take time to correct the mistake, then why should they care?  I mean, I realize that it takes away all credibility...but that's because I know better.  If we are grooming this generation of teenagers not to care about little things like this, then we may as well throw all grammar and writing skills out the door. 

But for what it's worth, I am still fighting this battle. 

I'm losing, but still fighting.

I hope you're enjoying your weekend.

-Shelley


1 comment: