Wednesday, January 5, 2011

7:30 AM buzz...and I don't mean from the alarm clock

First period came and went today as usual; in fact, it seemed like one of the better days. It was the last day for these students unless they're coming Friday to take an exam, so most were casually working on some extra credit while I sat at my desk and averaged their grades. I was calling students over one at a time to give them an update on their progress and to thank them for a good semester. This particular class was my favorite class in a while, and I am very close to several of the students. The bell had already rung to release students to their next class when I realized there was an empty beer can in my trash bin. Long story short, thanks to the good consciences and honesty of some of my kiddos, it was determined which student had been drinking beer behind my back during class. Now, I'm actually an extremely observant teacher; students often marvel at my ability to see AND hear everything they do and say even when I'm in conversation with an individual. They know I hear every slur and vulgarity and see every peek at the cell phone. However, this kid was GOOD! I let students have snacks/drinks today. Several sipped on a chocolate milk leftover from breakfast, or a soda they bought from the machine. But this kid...I didn't even see him with anything at all. In fact, we conversed throughout much of the class and I gave him hints to help him on the extra credit worksheet. Ultimately, matters were turned over to the administration.

This is a student who struggles due to a tough home life and many absences, but he and I have been pals since August. He's been quite open and candid with me throughout the semester, and I've done what I can to help him along. Extremely personable and polite, it saddened me to turn him in.

Wait-saddened me? What?

Yes, saddened; I am hurt that he would abuse my trust by doing this, and I also see it as an blatant sign of disrespect, but nonetheless, sadness is what I feel. I feel sad for his situation, and sad that he believes he is stuck and has no way out. I am sad that he doesn't know Christ's love for him, or maybe even anybody's love for him, and that he thinks he is a lost cause. He feels rejected and abandoned by nearly everyone in his life, and he has nobody around to share these precious words with him:

Psalm 27:10
“Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.”

Bringing a beer to school and drinking it in class behind a teacher's back is certainly not the worst offense that has occured at Central. It's DEFINITELY not the most frustrating or terrible thing that a student has done in my classroom. But my heart still breaks for teenagers who feel the need to numb themselves to all of the pain in their lives. Sometimes the only postitive influence they have is an adult figure at school. As teachers, we have a tremendous amount of pressure on us as it is, but as a teacher who is a CHRISTIAN? Whoa, talk about a never-ending job. To be a Christian is to be a teacher, no matter what our earthly profession is. I pray we all remember that we may be the ONLY source of love and hope to people we encounter.



Easier said than done when I'm standing in front of 34 rude, arrogant, apathetic, obnoxious, and vulgar teenagers.


"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men."
Matthew 5:13

2 comments:

  1. Great story... loved the catch phrase... talk about a "buzz kill". Thanks for blogging.... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete