Monday, January 10, 2011

Chills

You know what gives me the chills? This image right here:

If you have followed the news at all since Saturday, you probably know by now that this is the mugshot of Jared Loughner, the accused gunman who provoked ultimate, terrifying chaos in Tucson, Arizona, at congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords's meet and greet. His atrocious act killed six people and wounded at least fourteen others until a few courageous citizens were able to subdue him. This story has been everywhere, with much of the coverage focusing on the young nine-year-old who was killed, as well as the amazing survival of the congresswoman herself after sustaining a bullet through her brain. However, even more chilling to me than Loughner's remorse-less grin is Lynda Sorenson's story. Lynda has appeared on several news stations now, sharing her story of how she new this man. Lynda was in class with him this past summer at a community college, and claims she knew instantly that he was very disturbed. Her classmates agreed that he was a disruption, but Lynda had that bone-chilling intuition that he was more than just mis-behaved. She presented her worries to her professor, who in turn shared those worries with other school authorities. In the meantime, Lynda communicated her fears through emails to friends that this man seemed like the type to bring a weapon to class. Eventually, Loughner was kicked out of the college. (For more of Lynda's story, click on the link below)

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/01/10/Classmate-wrote-about-disturbed-student/UPI-14381294665655/


What bothers me so much more than usual about this is that as a teacher, my colleagues and I have either thought or said things along these same lines before. Everyday we see teenagers that can certainly be considered "disturbed" and "frightening". We don't just see them; we're responsible for teaching them math, English, and science? We have to ask them to take their hats off, put their cell phones away, and try to conduct themselves like civilized human beings, and this can be a very terrifying thing to do. One of my greatest fears when I became a teacher was dealing with students who are the type to bring a weapon to school with the intention to harm me, my co-workers, or my students.

Of course, that fear partially came to fruition this past August when a gunman entered our school.

But I'd rather not discuss that right now. The point is, this world is a scary place, and it seems so cruel and unfair that schools and grocery store parking lots can be among the unsafest of environments. Since I started teaching, I've prayed pretty much the same prayer on my way to work every morning, and it never gets monotonous. In my prayer, among other things, I ask for God to watch over all of us and keep us safe. Some may find me paranoid; some may think I worry too much. And that's ok, because I acknowledge my anxieties and ask for God to calm my soul and give me peace. I know God is in control, and that His will is to be done in my life. My life verse has always been and always will be Psalm 27:1:

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?"

Joshua 1:3-9
"I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you ... No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.
Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

What a joyous comfort! God specifically tells us that if we focus on His word and are strong and courageous, He will be with us wherever we go! No man, no matter how powerful, will be a match for us when we have God as our Defender and Protector.

"Rest easy, have no fear
I love you perfectly, and love drives out fear
I'll take your burden, you take my Grace
rest easy in my embrace."
Audio Adrenaline

And as Relient K would sing, "Isn't it nice to know that the lining is silver?"



To end on a lighter note, you know what ELSE gives me chills? SNOW!

Woke up this morning to find we were on another snow day (as we are tomorrow, as well!) and that's just fine with me. We have one more day we can miss without having to make anything up, and I figure since I neither control the weather nor the decisions to be in school or not, why gripe and complain about it? My only issue with snow (besides the dangers it poses for people who have to drive in it) is that it is hindering my triathlon training. BUT we do have an indoor bike trainer now which I got to test out for an hour today. It's fabulous. It'll be warm again. Eventually.

Rhea especially enjoys the snow because it brings more deliciously fat birdies to the bird feeder.



I have only one last thing to say about "chills", and that is that "they're multiplyin'"...but I'll let Sandy "tell you about it, Stud."


2 comments:

  1. And may I just add, especially after my previous post about music/art that can be "offensive", that I completely understand the "inappropriate-ness", if I may, of this clip and the movie "Grease". The problem here is not in the lyrics but in the video itself. Not trying to be prudish; only acknowledging the potential contradictions between this and my post about Kesha. But come on, just enjoy the song : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are lip-syncing. How come you left out PE teachers as subject we have to teach our students? I'm hurt.

    Besides that, I love you.

    ReplyDelete